~•>🌹 آلاء دهقان 🌹<•~
2013 MFA, Painting & Printmaking, Yale University, New Haven
2009 MA, Painting, Tehran University, Tehran
2005 BFA, Persian Miniature Painting, Alzahra University, Tehran
SOLO & TWO PERSON EXHIBITIONS:
2009 "Life is my sister", Aaran Gallery, Tehran, Iran
“We Are What We Do”, In support of the New York Immigration Coalition(NYIC), Jack Studios, NYC, October 18-19
“Representation X Representation”, UnLocal Benefit Auction, Klaus von Nichtssagend Gallery, NYC, October 16-17
“Not Right” Art Auction to Benefit the Southern Poverty Law Center, 1040 Metropolitan Avenue, Brooklyn, September
"The Cactus Show" curated by Dan Gratz and Letha Wilson, Craryville, New York. July
Set design for "Queer Scouts" directed by Justine Williams and Eva Peskin, Leslie Lohman Museum, New York, November
"THRU THE RABBIT HOLE", Sideshow Gallery, Nation IV, New York. January-April
"The landscape changes 30 Times.", curated by Ala Dehghan, Anahita Gallery [Porsesh, The Institute of Political Economic Studies], Tehran, October
"Can a Painting Think?", James Brittingham & Ala Dehghan, The Gowanus Studio Space, New York, September
"How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare", Curated by Raul Zamudio, Pristine Galerie, Monterrey, México. May
"Zoo#1" Modern to contemporary: (1941-2014), curated by Iman Safaei, Shirin Gallery, Tehran, May
"The Lady With The X-Ray Eyes", curated by Raul Zamudio, Boris Georgiev Gallery, CONTEMPO 2014, Varna, Bulgaria. April
"PAINTINGWALL (Janus at 8:16)", curated by Ala Dehghan, Touch Gallery, Cambridge, MA. January & February
"Scraps", The Distillery Gallery, Boston, MA. December
7th Annual Art Auction Benefit, South Asian Women Creative Collective, New York, November
"Process/Practice/Portfolio 2.0", Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU, New York , July
"Medium Cool", Prairie Production Gallery, curated by Ria Roberts, Chicago, Illinois. August
"Drawing Week", Homa Art Gallery, curated by Shahrouz Nazari, Tehran, February
"MFA 2013(first year show)", Green Gallery , Yale School of Art, New Haven, CT, September
"The Jacket Show", curated by Florencia Escudero and Randi Shandroski, Fuel: 516 Chapel Street. New Haven, CT
"Third Eye", contemporary art from Iran, Curated by Raul Zamudio, Shanghai, China, March
"HEAR ME ROAR", Curated by Atteqa Ali, The Jam Jar, Dubai, March
"My Super Hero", Morono Kiang Gallery, Los Angeles, CA, March
"13 x 18", Curated by Iman Safaei, Etemad Gallery, Tehran, March
"Open Studio + Artist Talk", The Delfina Foundation, London, March
"Van Gogh’s Ear", Gallery 10, Tehran, December 2010
"Iran Today", Curated by Shahram Karimi, Brigitte Schenk Gallery, Cologne, Germany, December
"Shemage", Homa Art Gallery, Tehran, August
"Iran-Today", Il Gabbiano Gallery, Rome, Italy, July
"Today I`m going Away–I stay in Tehran", Curated by Rischa Paterlini, Cream Gallery, Milan, March
"Iran; DiVerso Black and White", Gallery Verso, Torin, Italy, February
"Work on Paper", " LAAL Collection" by Fereydoun Ave, Aaran Art Gallery, Tehran, March
"Iran , Now", Silk Road Gallery, Tehran, February
"Gol o Bolbol", Tarrahan-e Azad Gallery, Tehran, January
"The song of nightingales from the oil rich fields", Esfahan Museum of Contemporary Arts, Esfahan, January
"Radical Drawing", Tehran Art Gallery, Tehran, November
Tarrahan-e Azad Gallery, Tehran, October
Lale Art Gallery, group painting show, Tehran, March
Lale Art Gallery, group drawing show, Tehran, October
"6th Persian Painting Biennial”, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Tehran
"Visual Art Festival", Saba Art Center, Tehran
- Director/Curator, 17ESSEX. September 2016 - present
- "The Landscape Changes 30 Times.", Anahita Gallery / Porsesh: The Institute of Political-Economic Studies, Tehran, 2015
- "PAINTINGWALL (Janus at 8:16)", Touch Gallery, Cambridge, MA. 2014
LECTURES / PANEL DISSCUSSIONS:
- Lecture & Studio Visits, Pratt Institute MFA program, Pfizer Building, Brooklyn, November 2018
- Studio visits and conversation, RU/Residency Unlimited, Brooklyn, New York, July 2018
- Special Topics: "Exhibiting", A roundtable discussion with galleries and curators, The Cooper Union, New York, April 2017
- NYC Creative Salon, "Structure 5", moderated by Lauren Comito, Brooklyn Brush, Brooklyn, New York. April 2017
- "A Bomb, With Ribbon Around It", Slide Slam, Queens Museum theater, Queens Museum of Art, New York. January 2014
- "Process/Practice/Portfolio 2.0", Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU, New York , July 2013
- "Open Studio / Artist Talk", The Delfina Foundation, London, March 2011
- Fruit of the Forest Magazine, Artist Interviews, Ala Dehghan, by Federica Tattoli, March 2016.
- EuroNews, “The Landscape Changes 30 Times.” by Pantea Bahrami, October 2015.
- Of No Fixed Address, Mirth and Melancholia: an interview with Ala Dehghan, Baumtest Art Publication, Issue #2, by Laila Riazi, Los Angeles, CA, April 2014.
- The Liquid Issue, Lutefisk Magazine, by Ben Ross Davis, June 2013.
- Deutsche Welle Radio, by Elahe Helbig, July 2010.
- Radio Zamaneh, by Pantea Bahrami, July 2010.
- Nafe Magazine, by Sama Babaee, June 2010.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
- Queer Scouts: group in-residence at Abrons Art Center & Movement Research, Spring/Summer 2017
- Awarded “Vermont Studio Center” Artist Residency, June-July 2015
- Awarded Full Scholarship, Yale School of Art, MFA program, 2011-2013
- Awarded “The Delfina Foundation” Artist Residency, January-April 2010
- Shortlist of Magic of Persia Contemporary Art Prize, April 2009
- O FLUXO, Cerrajeria, Lock Up International, Mexico City, June 4, 2018
- Tzvetnik, Cerrajeria, Lock Up International, Mexico City, May 2018
- Artspace In Times of Perseus, curated by Sophie Landres, Sargent's Daughters, April 20, 2018
- Artnews In Times of Perseus, curated by Sophie Landres, Sargent's Daughters, April 6, 2018
- Art Viewer, 40 Pest Street, Alyssa Davis Gallery, November 4, 2017
- Tzvetnik, 40 Pest street, Alyssa Davis Gallery, October 2017
- O FLUXO, 40 Pest Street, Alyssa Davis Gallery, October 19, 2017
- Artnet News: Editors’ Picks by Sarah Cascone, 16 Things to See in New York This Week / Not Right, September 25th, 2017
- Editors' Picks, ART HAPS: "Drawer", Deli Gallery, curated by Flat File, September 8th, 2017
- Art Viewer, Overview, SAMUEL, Chicago. March 1st, 2017.
- PURPLE FR. /PURPLE DIARY, "Memory Room", Elise Gallant, June 29, 2016
- Art F City, "We Went to The Armory Show: How To Spend It." by Michael Anthony Farley and Molly Rhinestones, 04/03/2016.
- Exibart Magazine, by Matteo Bergamini, 01/17/2016.
- ATP DIARY, by Elena Bordignon, 12/21/2015.
- ARTRIBUNE, Mappe mnemoniche a Milano.by Ginevra Bria, 12/18/2015.
- Cerchio Magazine, by Andrea Lacarpia, 12/09/2015.
- The American Reader, TEMPLUM #2: I Have Never Been to Heaven/ Glacier/ Dugite/ Poltergeist, by Chloé Rossetti, April 2014.
- BLOUIN ARTINFO, "The Insanity of Iran", by Benjamin Gnocchi, MAY 20, 2011
- Modern Painters, "The Insanity of Iran", by Benjamin Genocchio, May, 2011, pp. 48-56
- Drawing Center, "I can explain everything.", by Julia Horn, July 2010.
- Time Out Magazine, Critics’ Picks, "I can explain everything.", by Howard Halle, July 2010.
- New York Times, Looped and Layered, by Holland Cotter, 30 July 2009.
- Frieze Magazine, Raad O Bargh, by Emily Verla Bovino, 21 April 2009.
- Wallpaper, Raad O Bargh, March 2009.
- Pool Magazine, by Sahar Afazeli, May 2010.
- Etemaad Newspaper, by Amir Farhad, April 2009.
- Golestaneh, by Ahmadreza Dalvand, May 2009.
- Tehran Avenue, by Fereydoun Ave, March 2009.
- Etemed Newspaper, by Helia Darabi, December 2007.
- Tandis biweekly Art magazine, by Mehrdad Amini, September 2006.
- "OVERVIEW", SAMUEL, LA Art Book Fair. Printed Matter, Inc. February 2017
- A zine, The Bomb Pop-Up! Recipe Book, New York, July 2016
- Memory Room, Catalog, Curated by Andrew Ross, Outpost Gallery, June 2016
- Baumtest, Issue #2: of no fixed address, Mirth and Melancholia: an interview with Ala Dehghan, Los Angeles, CA, April 2014.
- "A Bomb, With Ribbon Around It", exhibition catalog, Queens Museum of Art, New York, NY, December 2013-January 2014.
- Lutefisk Magazine, The Liquid Issue, New York, June 2013.
- The Jacket Show, Exhibition Catalog, New York, 2012.
- Cheshm(eye #32), "Ala Dehghan(portraits)", Mahriz Publication, Tehran, 2011.