ALA DEHGHAN آلاء
Tehran, 1982. Lives and works in New York
2013 MFA, Painting & Printmaking, Yale University, New Haven
2009 MA, Painting, Tehran University, Tehran
2005 BFA, Persian Miniature Painting, Alzahra University, Tehran
SOLO & TWO PERSON EXHIBITIONS:
- 2016 "The Armory Show", Ala Dehghan & Panos Tsagaris, Kalfayan Galleries, Pier 94. Booth 823
- 2015 "Jump-Cut to Eyeline-Match: Forgetting the sound of her voice”, Otto Zoo Gallery, Milan, Italy
- 2011 "The Upside-down Scenery", Kalfayan Galleries, Athens, Greece
- 2010 "I can explain everything", Thomas Erben Gallery, New York, USA
- 2009 "Life is my sister", Aaran Gallery, Tehran, Iran
- "In Times of Perseus", curated by Sophie Landres, Sargent's Daughters, New York, March
- "In Congruence", curated by Angeli Sion, Alyssa Davis Gallery, New York, March
- Marianna Eilenberg's "Pawel & Ebola", Costumes and Props by Ala Dehghan, February 22-24, The Kitchen NYC
- "VEILS", Amy Brener/Ala Dehghan/Robin Kang and Lydia McCarthy, Curated by Dan Gratz, Aquarius Studios, Queens, New York, December
- "40 Pest Street", organized by Dillon Petito and Malte Zander, Alyssa Davis Gallery, New York, September & October
- “Not Right” Art Auction to Benefit the Southern Poverty Law Center, 1040 Metropolitan Avenue, Brooklyn, September
- "Drawer", curated by Flat File, Deli Gallery, Brooklyn, New York, September
- "Group Portrait", Unisex Salon, Brooklyn, New York, July and August
- "The Cactus Show" curated by Dan Gratz and Letha Wilson, Craryville, New York. July
- Special Topics: "Exhibiting", A roundtable discussion with galleries and curators, The Cooper Union, New York, April
- NYC Creative Salon, "Structure 5", moderated by Lauren Comito, Brooklyn Brush, Brooklyn, New York. April
- "OVERVIEW" LA Art Book Fair. Printed Matter, Inc. Los Angeles, CA. February
- "OVERVIEW" curated by Lewis Teague Wright & Steven Vainberg, SAMUEL, Chicago, IL. January
- "Queer Scouts" by Justine Williams and Eva Peskin, set design by Ala Dehghan, Leslie Lohman Museum, New York, November
- "STATE" curated by Ashkan Sanei, Homa Gallery, Tehran, October
- "SENSE: A Play" by Chloe Rossetti, costumes & set design by Ala Dehghan, La Plaza Cultural, New York, September
- "New Barracuda" curated by Nicholas Cueva, Neumann Leather Factory, Hoboken, NJ, September
- "Bomb Pop Up" curated by Drea Cofield, 1822 Futon st. Brooklyn, New York. July
- "NEWS AND WEATHER" curated by Gordon Hall and Brian Droitcour, Vox Populi, Philadelphia, July
- "MEMORY ROOM" curated by Andrew Ross, SeeThru Events|Outpost Gallery, New York, June
- "Curiosities" curated by Chaeri Lee, Grace Gurley Linderholm, Dillon Petito, Hannah Strauss, and Valentina Van de Weghe, 17 Essex Street, New York, May
- "THRU THE RABBIT HOLE", Sideshow Gallery, Nation IV, New York. January-April
- "The landscape changes 30 Times.", curated by Ala Dehghan, Anahita Gallery [Porsesh, The Institute of Political Economic Studies], Tehran, October
- "Can a Painting Think?", James Brittingham & Ala Dehghan, The Gowanus Studio Space, New York, September
- "The List", curated by Ashkan Sanei, O Gallery, Tehran, August
- "EYE & I(II)", Open Studios(II), Vermont Studio Center, The Schultz Studio, VT, June 30th
- "EYE & I(I)", Open Studios(I), Vermont Studio Center, The Schultz Studio, VT, June 15th
- "Thirteen Artist for A New Day", curated by Fereydoun Ave, Lajevardi Foundation, Tehran, March
- "Incident Light: Gendered Artifacts and Traces Illuminated in the Archives", curated by Leila Pourtavaf and Azar Mahmoudian, Blackwood Gallery, University of Toronto, ON, Canada. May-July
- "How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare", Curated by Raul Zamudio, Pristine Galerie, Monterrey, México. May
- "Zoo#1" Modern to contemporary: (1941-2014), curated by Iman Safaei, Shirin Gallery, Tehran, May
- "The Lady With The X-Ray Eyes", curated by Raul Zamudio, Boris Georgiev Gallery, CONTEMPO 2014, Varna, Bulgaria. April
- "PAINTINGWALL (Janus at 8:16)", curated by Ala Dehghan, Touch Gallery, Cambridge, MA. January & February
- "A Bomb, With Ribbon Around It", Slide Slam, Queens Museum theater, Queens Museum of Art, New York. January
- "A Bomb, With Ribbon Around It", curated by Raul Zamudio, Queens Museum of Art, New York, NY. December & January 2013-2014
- "I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO HEAVEN", Kremer Pigments Inc. New York, December&January 2013-14
- "Scraps", The Distillery Gallery, Boston, MA. December
- 7th Annual Art Auction Benefit, South Asian Women Creative Collective, New York, November
- "Process/Practice/Portfolio 2.0", Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU, New York , July
- "Medium Cool", Prairie Production Gallery, curated by Ria Roberts, Chicago, Illinois. August
- "Drawing Week", Homa Art Gallery, curated by Shahrouz Nazari, Tehran, February
- "MFA 2013 Thesis Show", Green Gallery, Yale School of Art, New Haven, CT, January
- "MFA 2013(first year show)", Green Gallery , Yale School of Art, New Haven, CT, September
- "The Jacket Show", curated by Florencia Escudero and Randi Shandroski, Fuel: 516 Chapel Street. New Haven, CT
- "Documentary of Sea", Curated by vahid Sharifian, XVA Gallery, Dubai, February
- "15 Years Thomas Erben Gallery", Thomas Erben Gallery, New York, May
- "Third Eye", contemporary art from Iran, Curated by Raul Zamudio, Shanghai, China, March
- "HEAR ME ROAR", Curated by Atteqa Ali, The Jam Jar, Dubai, March
- "My Super Hero", Morono Kiang Gallery, Los Angeles, CA, March
- "13 x 18", Curated by Iman Safaei, Etemad Gallery, Tehran, March
- "Open Studio + Artist Talk", The Delfina Foundation, London, March
- "Van Gogh’s Ear", Gallery 10, Tehran, December 2010
- "Contemporary Notes", Asar Art Gallery, Curated by Vahid Sharifian, Tehran,Iran, November
- "Iran Today", Curated by Shahram Karimi, Brigitte Schenk Gallery, Cologne, Germany, December
- "Shemage", Homa Art Gallery, Tehran, August
- "Iran-Today", Il Gabbiano Gallery, Rome, Italy, July
- "12 Cubed", Aun Art Gallery, Curated by Human Mortazavi, Tehran, May
- "Today I`m going Away–I stay in Tehran", Curated by Rischa Paterlini, Cream Gallery, Milan, March
- "Iran; DiVerso Black and White", Gallery Verso, Torin, Italy, February
- "Raad O Bargh", Kunstraum Deutsche Bank, Salzburg, July
- "Looped and Layered",Thomas Erben Gallery, New York, May
- "Work on Paper", " LAAL Collection" by Fereydoun Ave, Aaran Art Gallery, Tehran, March
- "Iran , Now", Silk Road Gallery, Tehran, February
- "Raad O Bargh", Thaddaeus Ropac Gallery, Paris, February
- "Gol o Bolbol", Tarrahan-e Azad Gallery, Tehran, January
- "The song of nightingales from the oil rich fields", Esfahan Museum of Contemporary Arts, Esfahan, January
- "Radical Drawing", Tehran Art Gallery, Tehran, November
- Tarrahan-e Azad Gallery, Tehran, October
- Lale Art Gallery, group painting show, Tehran, March
- Lale Art Gallery, group drawing show, Tehran, October
- "6th Persian Painting Biennial”, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Tehran
- "Visual Art Festival", Saba Art Center, Tehran
-"The Landscape Changes 30 Times.", Anahita Gallery / Porsesh: The Institute of Political-Economic Studies, Tehran, 2015
-"PAINTINGWALL (Janus at 8:16)", Touch Gallery, Cambridge, MA. 2014
LECTURES / PANEL DISSCUSSIONS:
-"Open Studio / Artist Talk", The Delfina Foundation, London, March 2011
-Of No Fixed Address, Mirth and Melancholia: an interview with Ala Dehghan, Baumtest Art Publication, Issue #2, by Laila Riazi, Los Angeles, CA, April 2014.
-Deutsche Welle Radio, by Elahe Helbig, July 2010.
-Radio Zamaneh, by Pantea Bahrami, July 2010.
-Nafe Magazine, by Sama Babaee, June 2010.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
-Queer Scouts: group in-residence at Abrons Art Center & Movement Research, Spring/Summer 2017
-Awarded Full Scholarship, Yale School of Art, MFA program, 2011-2013
-Shortlist of Magic of Persia Contemporary Art Prize, April 2009
-Modern Painters, "The Insanity of Iran", Benjamin Genocchio, May, 2011, pp. 48-56
-Drawing Center, "I can explain everything.", by Julia Horn, July 2010.
-Frieze Magazine, Raad O Bargh, by Emily Verla Bovino, 21 April 2009.
-Wallpaper, Raad O Bargh, March 2009.
-Pool Magazine, by Sahar Afazeli, May 2010.
-Etemaad Newspaper, by Amir Farhad, April 2009.
-Golestaneh, by Ahmadreza Dalvand, May 2009.
-Tehran Avenue, by Fereydoun Ave, March 2009.
-Etemed Newspaper, by Helia Darabi, December 2007.
-Tandis biweekly Art magazine, by Mehrdad Amini, September 2006.
-A zine, The Bomb Pop-Up! Recipe Book, New York, July 2016
-The Jacket Show, Exhibition Catalog, New York, 2012.
-Cheshm(eye #32), "Ala Dehghan(portraits)", Mahriz Publication, Tehran, 2011.